Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bite into a juicy apple

I just bought a Macbook today. And it came with a free iPod Touch. And I feel a little guilty.

My dad so sweetly gave his best wishes for me to go on with the purchase, even adding that he wants me to add in the better tech. specs and everything (I declined). However, as I'm typing on my really bulky, heavy but perfectly functional dell laptop, I'm caught in a conundrum. Did I allow my soul to be given into the consumerist seduction of being told that I deserve a new sexy and souped up computer? Or will this really be a worthwhile investment that will provide long-term usefulness to help me be a better student, employee, be better organized, etc.?

Macs, as you are well aware, fetch around $1K a pop. That's a lot of money that I am privileged and undeserving to be able to spend on such things for myself. Here is my rationale:

1) My current laptop is 4 years old and nearing its time for retirement. Processing is slow and memory is running out and it's just very vulnerable to viruses and other such problems.

2) My current laptop is really heavy. Taking it to school and other places is doable, but difficult. Macbooks are light and very portable.

3) My current laptop can be donated and given to someone in need of a pretty functional and durable laptop. (sigh yeah, all whilst I enjoy the benefits of the best in the market. what a jerk i am!). Still deciding if that should go to Computers with causes or One Laptop per Child.


I guess it's inevitable that we will be faced with many decisions regarding purchases of big things such as laptops. It's important that careful thought goes into it and that we are ever grateful and acknowledge how lucky we are to be able to have that ability to have laptops, computers, electronics etc. And perhaps to think about what we could do to improve the life of someone else in the process by considering donating to someone who would be so blessed by the things we don't want/need anymore.

1 comment:

Jerrissimo said...

OMG you bought it!!!!!!

I personally think it's a worthy investment as I find Macs very reliable (and after the abusive relationship I had with my Toshiba, reliable is good). Heck, I would've gotten one if it was within my budget at that time.

I understand the sentiments though, because that was a little of how I felt when I got my car that had all the unnecessary gizmos in it.