Saturday, August 15, 2009

Those days

I kind of miss those days somewhere in the time of grade school where we'd all sit in our "table groups" or clusters and it didn't matter how different we were culturally, socially, racially -- except for the occasional beezy or d-bag, we all just talked and got along just fine. These days, we seldom, if at all, talk to the people in our classes because 1) given the size and arrangement of our classes and 2) because people are just so different when they're older.

Our levels of vulgarity and values, our interests and world views become such a dividing factor in our day-to-day human relationships. It used to all be about our favorite cartoons, snacks we loved, things we're learning... but now, I feel like I have nothing in common with the person in my class that talks about getting wasted and trashed. Or do I?

All in all, I appreciate when people near me talk to me, even if it's mindless small talk. I've been trying train myself to return the favor and try to make a friend or two in class and it's worked! I challenge you to do the same! Kind of scary, but I think it's something most people appreciate. Oh to be optimistic and excited about meeting people... (the feeling sometimes wears out, but embrace it while you can!).


Amber

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

dude i totally like it when ppl talk to me, most of the time ;)

Unknown said...

In the heart of New York's bustling Upper East Side neighborhood, where every block seems to be infused with the energy of the city, there is a culinary gem where you can find a haven of comfort and love. This is the best french restaurant new york I have ever been to.