Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm gonna do it!


“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
- Mark Twain




Dear Davis,

I love you so much. You were a place of significant personal growth for me. I've made long-lasting friendships here with the people I've met, and the charming little parks and shops I've gotten to know. I love how you always gave me a place when I needed rest, reflection and an expression of beauty from nature. Your quaint little roads and structures I'll always cherish.

I hope you understand that I have to go soon. Don't worry, Davis, this isn't goodbye forever. You have a permanent place in my heart forever. The thing is, I'm ready for adventure!! No longer am I wistfully dreaming of far away places and unfamiliar climates. I've been saying for the past whateverso years that "I wanna take some time to travel" either in the form of study abroad or taking time after I graduate to do so. But the BUTS kept getting in the way. Big buts, little buts. There will always be something to hold me back from doing what I want to do. Now is the time, you see?

Once it was something that I wanted, but now it is something I am ready for. I am craving an amazing experience outside of the boundaries of my usual neighborhoods and circles. I'm going to get lost and meet strangers. I'm going to be scoffed at by locals for being so dumb, or maybe laughed at endearingly. I'm going to find my way and map out my own adventures. Things will be planned and spontaneous. What me? A relatively shy and naive asian girl with only a bachelor's degree and 21 years of a mellow, comfortable lifestyle to recount? YES ME.

I'm going to do it! I'm going to commit. I'm going to apply for places where I'll be able to work and get housing. I'm going to have multiple backup plans. OH man, backup plans are so great, they make you feel invincible (another post on that later). I'm going to do it.

Let's keep in touch, Davis. Watch out World here I come.

Your friend,
Amber

1 comment:

mandacakes said...

<3
i enjoyed that greatly :)