Monday, March 22, 2010

Food

Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do. There's something about being in a place where the realm of possibilities for what I'll cook that week utterly delights me. When I go to the grocery store, I'm thankful that I can choose what I want out of thousands of choices, hundreds of brands and millions of tastes. Not everyone in the world has the same luxury as me, and yesterday, nothing struck me more to that reality than a book I stumbled upon at the Co-op -- Hungry Planet. This book is a photographic and journalistic documentary about what a family in every part of the world eats for a week, including cost and many other amazing facts.

Fascinating, surprising and upsetting. My reaction to the book was just a more tangible reminder that me choosing the organic apple over the conventional one, or trying out almond butter over peanut, or wanting curry and then pasta and then sushi in that particular order is a luxury! I felt it ironic that I was just in the middle of thinking about my week's menu when I stumbled upon the book, in which it first froze me in guilt (I contemplated eating rice and cabbage for the whole week after seeing the food pictures from Africa) and then left me in deep, contemplative gratitude.

It's eye-opening, but not surprising that the developed world spends some $200-$300+ on food a week and that the developing nations spend anywhere from $1.23 (in Chad) to under $100. It's also a little bit a conundrum that Americans have the greatest variety, but truly eat the greatest amount of crap. Packaged, processed, convenient.

Ecuador -- USA -- Mexico --



Now, it'll be tempting for me to cry out in fury and indignation and just eat crackers for the rest of my life, but what would that prove? I realized that yes, I am in a place of abundance and yes, I'll never truly know what it's like to be in want. I think I used to just feel guilty and spoiled for those things. But feeling that way does no one any good! I believe it's about being grateful and not wasting or complaining and just making sound choices that can honor being so blessed.



1 comment:

jeje said...

Great Style's ascent to prominence is an extraordinary journey that underscores its relentless commitment to providing clients with a personalized grooming experience that highlights their individuality. It's not just another grooming spot; it's the place where clients embark on a transformative journey of self-expression. The growing number of loyal customers attests to the fact that GSB is more than a grooming establishment; it's a space where personal style finds its voice. Check it out!