Thursday, March 19, 2009

Extraordinary

I wonder what it would be like to be extraordinary at something. For instance, if I were an aspiring Mozart who could compose amazing pieces of music, or a really good artist who could render a life-like sketch of anything I saw, or maybe I could throw a football like a beast or be really good at math or something.

But I just happen to be just so-so at a lot of things and extraodinary at... well... I'm pretty quick at peeling shrimp.

I think that's okay though. Perhaps some of our gifts are not the obvious and tangible as a work of art or height of a jump. There are giftings that lie in the "feelings" and "relational" realm. One might be gifted at organizing, at processing information, at helping people understand themselves. Ladeeda, I guess I might be gifted in some of those areas?

On a slightly different note, it's always a wonder to me that each person's life is different, and for that person each step of each day is unique and will never be quite exactly the same as the previous day's. It may be the same "routine" but never the exact same minute, location, climate and feeling... and all those ingredients really add up to a different recipe, don't you think?

I have these weird instances and epiphanies where ordinary life just seems EXTRAORDINARY. Sometimes, I have these epiphanies when I am driving down this street and passing this university I am in, and all the encompassing feelings and thoughts and experiences I have had for almost 4 years so far just hits me. Or when I'm taking a leisurely walk on a beautiful twilight evening and feel the comforting thought that I am living in a house amidst a loving community and during the past 3 years it's been a place I feel really safe and at peace. I realize that the same walk I might have taken last year had such a different shade of life than the one now. And then I guess it's what you call nostalgia that I think back, enjoy the present and also bittersweetly acknowledge the fact that that this time won't be forever.

Oh the future...What an extraordinary adventure you will be.

1 comment:

cocolatte said...

This is a quote from my calendar =)
"Memories, important yesterdays, were once todays. Treasure and notice today." ~Gloria Gaither